Sunday, May 24, 2009

Week 9....First OB-GYN appointment with Dr Michele Batey

Still feeling like death..but I think it's getting better....just looking forward to that 12 week mark when things start to get really easy.

So far this pregnancy has been very difficult for me. Definitely no walk in the park. I feel bad for David cos he feels helpless...he doesn't know what makes me feel better....mostly cos I don't know myself...he just sees me throwing up in the bathroom and the rest of the time I'm looking like I'm about to.

I had my first appointment with the OB this week and she was excellent. She answered all my questions thoroughly and I left feeling like a weight had been lifted. We saw peanut again on the scan and it had definitely grown....finally getting arms and legs and actually moving around when pushed with the ultrasound device.

The Dr even commented that we 'must have woken it up' as it jumped and squirmed out of the way.

An exciting week...just want this nausea to stop...come on peanut - lay off your mother will ya?!

2 comments:

  1. Did you ask for a scan or did your doctor just do it?? My doctor told me I wouldn't get one until week 18-20!! I was so disappointed, but figured she knew best! But now I keep seeing these pregnant women who get early scans!

    Btw, cute baby bump! What do you find to wear during this in-between phase?! I am struggling with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Milftobe,

    The OB-GYN's in Australia usually scan you at 8 and then 12 weeks.

    The first scan at 8 weeks is to check to see how many are in there and if the pregnancy is progressing normally and of course...to determine your due date more accurately.

    The 12 week scan is a more detailed scan - it is done along with a blood test. Its sometimes called the NT-Scan. The scan is to determine if there are any genetic deformaties - like down syndrome etc.

    The reason they do this at 12 weeks is to give you the opportunity to decide (if the test comes back positive) if you want to progress with the pregnancy.

    18-20 weeks seems a bit far along to me. Definitely request a scan - its your pregnancy after all - even if its for piece of mind :-)

    OMG, clothes are a nightmare right now. I'm unbuttoning my pants everytime I sit down. Quite embarrassing when I'm at a restaurant! haha

    Enjoy your pregnancy! thanks for your comment!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete